.

Get'cha FLY On Fisha'

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Riders of the Storm

I know it has been awhile since we have posted a report of any significance, mainly this is because I assume people get tired of reading the same ole generic shit. " I went to ______ creek, the midges were coming off in droves and we caught the shit out of 9" stockers on y2k's." I enjoy catching fish as much as the next and I'm not prejudice no matter the species or size, I just know from a personal stand point I don't want to hear report after report of vanilla, give me some turtle tracks for Christ sakes.
So anyway KPV and I had decided at a Christmas party we were both merrily attending that if Ken Cook was correct like he often tends not to be, and we did in fact receive the snow that was forecast for the northern part of the peach state we would would hit one of our favorite trickles the day after Christmas to see how she looked in a white dress. Low and behold Ken knocked this one out of the ball park and I received a text message from my Dad Christmas day with a picture and a report of snow fall totals of  10" around his home in the Blue Ridge area. So plans were set and we agreed to meet up the next morning at the usual spot. Morning came, I loaded the truck and set out not really knowing what we would be getting into as far as road conditions. Surprisingly I made it to our agreed meeting spot with no problems. Ken had called for sketchy road conditions thanks to the below freezing temperatures, but most of the primary roads had been salted good and I only encountered ice on the back roads. The forest service road was a bit more dicey, with the first part of the trip over the mountain being primarily on ice, and turning to snow the farther up the mountain we got. When we reached the summit we were greeted with around zero degree temperatures and powdered west coast snow. It was as if we had driven out of GA and into Aspen... I had not personally seen that much snow in the "A" since the blizzard of '93 and even then from what I can remember it was more of a wet snow (I have consumed numerous tall boys since '93 so my accounts may not be totally correct). We shot some pics of the summit and then continued down the other side toward the creek. We located a pull off mostly out of memory since the area was almost unrecognizable, and began to gear up. It had started to snow once we crossed over the mountain and by the time we started to fish the wind had turned it into blizzard like conditions. We were able to fish for only two hours before it became unbearable and virtually pointless being on the water. Basically I was unable to feel my hands, and found myself picking ice out of the guides more than fishing. Unfortunately no fish were brought to hand, but the scene was amazing and worth it none the less. We shagged ass outta there before dark, and the ride back was a little crazy dealing with the ice on the backside of the mountain. We made it back to the casa unscathed with some sick nasty pictures of the trip, some of which I will share with you now...








While we may get out again before we ring in the new year I couldn't imagine a better trip to end the year on! See ya on the other side...

J

No comments:

Post a Comment